Military hovercraft Zubr
The Zubr class (Project 1232.2, NATO reporting name “Pomornik”) is a class of air-cushioned landing craft (LCAC). This class of military hovercraft is, as of 2012, the world’s largest, with a standard full load displacement of 555 tons. The hovercraft is designed to sealift amphibious assault units (such as marines and tanks) from equipped/non-equipped vessels to non-equipped shores, as well as transport and plant naval mines.
There are currently seven Zubr-class hovercraft in active service worldwide with several pending delivery. There are two vessels in service with the Russian Navy and four with the Hellenic Navy. In 2009, China placed an order for four vessels from Ukraine as part of a deal worth 315 million USD. Two updated versions of the vessels will be built at Crimea’s Feodosia Shipbuilding Company followed by two advanced models of the surface warship.
The purchase of HS Cephalonia (L 180) for the Hellenic Navy marked the first time a Soviet-designed naval craft had been built for a NATO member.
The Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut (Russian: Сухой Су-47 Беркут—Golden Eagle) (NATO reporting name Firkin), also designated S-32 and S-37 (not to be confused with the twin-engined delta canard design offered by Sukhoi in the early 1990s under the designation Su-37) during initial development, was an experimental supersonic jet fighter developed by Sukhoi Aviation Corporation. A distinguishing feature of the aircraft was its forward-swept wing that gave the aircraft excellent agility and maneuverability. While serial production of the type never materialized, the sole aircraft produced served as a technology demonstrator prototype for a number of advanced technologies later used in the 4.5 generation fighter SU-35BM and current fifth-generation jet fighter prototype Sukhoi Su-57.
The A-90 Orlyonok (English: Eaglet) is a Soviet ekranoplan that was designed by Rostislav Evgenievich Alexeev (1916-1980) of the Central Hydrofoil Design Bureau.
The Soviet made Mil V-12 (Also referred to as the Mi-12, NATO reporting name “Homer”) is the largest helicopter ever built. The name “Mi-12” would have been the name for the production helicopter. Since the V-12 never went into production and only two prototypes were built, the name “Mi-12” was never adopted.
The V-12 features the only two-rotor transverse scheme ever built by Mil eliminating the need for a tail rotor. The twin engines were taken together with the rotors from the Mil Mi-6 and duplicated on the V-12. Being the first time used by Mil, the twin rotos transvers scheme was not new. It was first seen in the Focke-Wulf Fw 61 the first fully controlable helicopter from 1936. Later other helicopter used the scheme such as the Focke Achgelis Fa 223 Drache from 1940. The Soviet Kamov OKB built an experimental aircraft with the same scheme in 1958, Kamov Ka-22 Vintokryl . This aircraft had also the combined wing/rotor arrangement later used on the Mil V-12.